THERE’s a shock

Fyre festival 2 ‘postponed’ just weeks before it was scheduled to start

Fyre festival 2 has been “postponed”, according to messages sent to ticket holders, just weeks before it was scheduled to start.
The event, advertised as a luxury music festival, was supposed to take place in Mexico from 30 May to 2 June. It was intended as an improved followup to the failed Fyre festival in 2017, which experienced problems with security, food, accommodation, medical services and artist relations, resulting in the festival being indefinitely postponed and eventually cancelled.
“The event has been postponed and a new date will be announced. We have issued you a refund. Once the new date is announced, at that time, you can repurchase if it works for your schedule,” read a message sent to ticket holders, ABC News reported. […]
Despite descriptions about the location of the sequel festival on the website, Mexico officials had previously confirmed that no event of that name was planned to be held there.
“We have no knowledge of this event, nor contact with any person or company about it,” Edgar Gasca, from the tourism directorate of Isla Mujeres, told the Guardian. “For us, this is an event that does not exist.”

Yeah, when your advertised location calls bullshit on you like that, you’re probably fucked. This, I’m sure, comes as no surprise to anyone paying attention. I fear, however, this isn’t the last we’ve heard of Fyre Festival 2, not least because I will be surprised if those refunds turn out to have been real, and there’ll probably be a whole stack of other legal issues arising…

Relight my Fyre

So you may remember a couple of years ago that the clown behind Fyre Festival was threatening to do it again? He’s making good on that threat, apparently:

For the morbidly curious and/or easily fooled music fan with anywhere from $1,400 to $1.1 million to spare, tickets for Fyre Festival II are on sale now.
Billy McFarland, the convicted fraudster behind the infamous first Fyre Festival, finally revealed the details for his grand second attempt, which will apparently take place May 30 to June 2 on Isla Mujeres in Mexico. The announcement Monday, Feb. 24, came with the all-caps header on social media: “Fyre Festival 2 is Real” — which is the kind of tag line that might have people asking a lot of questions already answered by the “Fyre Festival 2 is Real” tag line.
“I’m sure many people think I’m crazy for doing this again,” McFarland said, pointing out the obvious, in a statement. “But I feel I’d be crazy not to do it again. After years of reflection and now thoughtful planning, the new team and I have amazing plans for Fyre 2. The adventure seekers who trust the vision and take the leap will help make history.”

I don’t think anyone thinks Billy is crazy; a convicted fraud and scammer who should’ve been banned from ever doing this bullshit again, yes, but not crazy. The only crazy people here are the one who’ll spend money on this (cos you know someone will) expecting it to work this time. None of my questions from my previous post about where the money from this is coming from and why isn’t he using it to clear his existing debt first have been answered, obviously, and there is apparently a new question about whether or not Billy will even be able to go himself cos even he’s not sure he’s legally allowed to leave the US. Still, if all else fails as it probably will, Mushroom Cock will probably get Billy a job in tourism or something similar; grift recognises grift…

Fyre! (I’ll take you to court)

Byrn!

Yeah, the guy behind Fyre Festival who isn’t Ja Rule is now promoting a sequel to his first event. You know, one of the most infamous debacles of its kind in history, for which he spent four years in jail and he still owes $26m, and the government of the Bahamas still considers him a fugitive from their justice system; during his trial he refused to pay his legal team and continued to commit fraud by selling tickets to events that didn’t exist or didn’t sell public tickets.

The question isn’t why you should be invited to part 2, the question is why should anyone believe McFarland is actually going to do part 2 at all, let alone get it right. He himself says “well duh, I’ve got to pay back that $26m somehow” and fair enough, he does, but… I’m assuming that setting up a festival of this sort would actually require several million dollars, so is he implying he already has that, or at least has access to it? Cos if he does, wouldn’t he be better using that to pay off his debt directly? It’d be a gesture of goodwill, and probably better than sinking it into an event that probably won’t actually make that money and leave him further in the hole, because people know of his history as a con artist (there are in fact two documentaries on Fyre Festival) and what happened first time round and only complete idiots and people who somehow missed the original shitshow would trust him with their money now. Surely. I’m all for redemption arcs, but not everyone gets one or deserves one, and I’m not sure Billy Z. does. In any case, if it does happen somehow, I hope the people at the festival take their own lunch with them…